Friday, June 26, 2009

What is more important?

I understand that the death of someone famous with a following is a news worthy event. The families and friends of those people suffer with loss and the pain of missing someone and not ever seeing them again in this lifetime. I am not heartless and I sympathize with the people dealing with loss.

What I do not understand is how one person can completely dominate news coverage. No one person is that important. There are issues that are more pressing. A vote is taking place in the U.S. House of Representatives today on an energy bill that will effect every one. Why can't I hear anything about that? This issue is important to everyone!

The life of a person is a important thing, but devoting 24 hour news coverage to one person is ridiculous. While the world is transfixed on this one person Congress is deciding how much we are going to pay for electricity. This is a more pressing issue on my life than whether a dead celebrity died of a drug overdose.

No comments:

Post a Comment