The home of the oldest fourth of July celebration has apparently banned for life a group that handed out a pocket copy of the Declaration of Independence, the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights during the 2009 parade.
Excuse me?! Isn’t that what we are celebrating on the 4th of July? I don’t understand the reasoning of this. The Declaration of Independence declared our independence from England. Upon the successful effort to obtain that independence we, as a nation, formed the constitution to govern this new nation. The Bill of Rights is the first ten amendments to the constitution of our country. It has been years since I was in a history classroom but I do remember those things being taught in class. I has only been two hundred and thirty three years since we declared our independence and the people of this nation have seemingly forgotten what the fourth of July is all about. It is not just another hallmark holiday! I would suggest that people ‘google’ the independence celebration of our nation to remind themselves as to why we have this holiday.
No comments:
Post a Comment